Consider Harrison Park for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in a state-of-the-art educational environment.
- You value the stability and consistency of a kindergarten-to-grade-8 community.
- You believe kids can rise to meet whatever challenges they face.
- You want a curriculum designed to prepare students for college.
AVAILABLE AT HARRISON PARK
Harrison Park is proud to offer:
- Challenge Scholars: Grand Rapids Community Foundation and GRPS are coming together to provide the academic, social and financial resources students need to prepare for and go to college. Challenge Scholars may be granted a renewable scholarship to a Michigan college, university or vocational school.
- Harrison Park’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- Volunteer opportunities through Aquinas College, LaGrave Christian Reformed Church, and all three legs of the United Way (Family Literacy Program, Youth for Education Tomorrow [YET], and Schools of Hope)
EXCEL AT HARRISON PARK
FREE COLLEGE OR VOCATIONAL TRAINING: Thanks to the Grand Rapids Community Foundation’s “Challenge Scholars” initiative, 6th grade students who attend Harrison Park and continue to graduate from Union High School will be granted a renewable scholarship to a Michigan public college, university or vocational training provider for up to four years. In order to qualify, students must meet criteria including maintaining good grades, excellent attendance, and exemplary behavior. In addition to the free college/vocation training opportunity, students will benefit from math and literacy coaches and a career pathway coordinator.
ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE: Harrison Park has consistently met federal AYP standards for years and earned a “B” grade on the latest Michigan Education Yes report.
ALL-DAY PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN: Harrison Park is proud to offer all-day preschool and kindergarten – a benefit and service for students and parents.
LANGUAGE CENTER FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS: Harrison Park offers a specialized language center for English Language learners, who are taught by talented staff who use a variety of teaching strategies to help all students reach and exceed academic goals.
AFTER SCHOOL: Harrison Park offers the LOOP After School program with rigorous academic and enrichment programs.
RULES, SAFETY, DISCIPLINE: All GRPS schools provide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). PBIS is a proactive, team-based framework for creating and sustaining safe and effective schools. Educators emphasize prevention of problem behavior, development of pro-social skills, and the use of data-based problem solving for addressing existing behavior concerns. The result is a fair, firm and consistent approach to rules, safety, and discipline.