Facilities & Operations
November 5, 2020
Dear Facilities Staff,
Today, we learned that a GRPS staff member who works in Facilities has tested positive for COVID-19. Below are some items you need to know regarding this situation:
- The Operations/Facilities building is cleaned daily and will continue to be sanitized and disinfected.
- As long as you remain symptom-free you can continue working in the building.
- Staff who have been identified as close contacts have been contacted and given instructions for quarantine.
- Identifying and sharing specific information about those involved is prohibited by privacy/HIPAA regulations. We are following the medical guidance of the Kent County Health Department with additional guidance from our district nursing staff.
- Should you or a member of your family become ill, please contact the school office, as well as your healthcare provider. If you become ill, please contact HR so COVID-19 related benefits can be discussed.
- Staff in quarantine may not enter buildings or participate in district events and should remain home for the duration of the quarantine.
- We are continuing to engage in mitigation and sanitization protocols to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We greatly appreciate your partnership as we work together to support our students and staff during this time. Please contact me with any questions you have in the coming days.
Larry Johnson, Chief of Staff
The Grand Rapids Public School's Facilities and Operations Department is responsible for the operation and maintenance of 67 buildings that equal approximately four million square feet of facility space. These buildings include pre-k and elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, alternative schools, special education sites and administrative support offices.
In addition to maintaining secure and safe buildings, the Facilities and Operations Department provides building use opportunities to the community after school hours. Our school buildings are home to numerous after school activities for youth and evening activities for the community.