STOCKING ELEMENTARY CULTURAL CENTER (PK-5 Grade)
Dear Stocking Elementary School Parents, Guardians and Staff:
On 2/23/21, we were notified that a student or staff member at Stocking Elementary School has tested positive for COVID-19. We are following the procedures for a positive test and working with the Kent County Health Department to notify any staff member or students who may be considered close contacts.
The KCHD defines “close contact” as either:
- Being within three feet of a COVID-19 infected person for 15 minutes or more (with or without a mask)
- Having direct contact with infectious secretions from a COVID-19 infected person or a person with any COVID-19 symptom(s) (e.g., being coughed on).
There were no close contacts identified with this case.
The district is required to notify the Kent County Health Department of any positive tests of students or staff. The Grand Rapids Public Schools Health Services staff will conduct contact tracing and may contact you with quarantine instructions if it is determined that you are a close contact.
Under HIPAA Laws, we are required to protect the confidentiality of this individual unless there is a reason to inform you of their identity. We are informing you that we are moving forward under the guidance of the Kent County Health Department and that measures have been taken to protect the wellbeing of staff, students and families.
Please continue to monitor yourself for any new symptoms that may be related to COVID-19. If you notice changes in your health, please contact your medical provider immediately and consider getting tested.
As always, the safety of our staff and students is our first priority. All affected areas are being thoroughly cleaned using district approved disinfectant. If you have questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, please contact me or our school nurse.
Michael Thomasma, Principal
Student Daily Health Screener
Each student will need their own form.
Return to Learn Parent Information Session
**Note: All information is subject to change. Visit Hybrid Virtual Schedule for the most recent schedule information.
Stocking Elementary is focused on providing academic experiences to prepare students for college and career. Known for its beautiful, historic architecture and strong community, Stocking Elementary was updated in 2013 with a $3 million renovation. It is located in the West Grand Neighborhood.
Consider Stocking for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You value the stability and consistency of a preschool-to-grade-5 community.
- You want a Challenge Scholars school.
AVAILABLE AT STOCKING
Stocking Elementary Cultural Center is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as Second Language (ESL) services.
- Challenge Scholars: Grand Rapids Community Foundation and GRPS are coming together to provide the academic, social and financial resources students need to prepare for and go to college. Challenge Scholars may be granted a renewable scholarship to a Michigan college, university or vocational school.
- Stocking’s partnership with Kent School Services Network makes it a “community school” that provides eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
EXCEL AT STOCKING
In the last three years, Stocking has seen the number of students at or above grade level increase by 12% in math and 15% in reading. Staff are trained to identify individual student needs and customize their teaching to the student to help them succeed. 96% of parents feel their child is challenged at Stocking.
Stocking participates in Project Lead The Way (PLTW), which exposes students to science, technology, engineering, and math. PLTW teaches problem solving and collaboration through project-based learning. Students learn real-world skills and are introduced to STEM careers through this innovative program.
Parents are their child’s first teacher and Stocking recognizes how important it is for parents to be an active part of their child’s education. 95% of parents said they have regular opportunities to be involved at Stocking. Parents are welcomed as volunteers, at family nights, and in their child’s classroom.
Stocking is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 93% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
Staff at Stocking take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In a recent survey, 95% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.