SOUTHWEST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - ACADEMIA BILINGÜE (PK-6)
Student Summer School Daily Health Screener
Click here to complete the summer school health screener before your student comes to school each day.
Each student will need their own form.
Student Daily Health Screener
Click here to complete the student health screener before your student comes to school each day.
Each student will need to complete their own form.
Southwest Elementary School - Academia Bilingüe offers a proven dual immersion experience in English and Spanish to help students become bilingual and bicultural. Our school is located on the southwest side of Grand Rapids in one of Grand Rapids’ historic school buildings. The school has had modern updates, including a new cafeteria while maintaining its historic charm.
Consider Southwest Elementary School - Academia Bilingüe for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You want your child to have opportunities for bilingual literacy instruction.
- You need a school for English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
- You value an education that focuses on strong character values.
SOUTHWEST MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL - ACADEMIA BILINGÜE (7-12)
Our school is expanding to become a PK-12 Spanish Immersion school! You can apply now for Southwest Middle High School - Academia Bilingüe by visiting apply.grps.org. Check out the renderings of our newest high school here.
Southwest Schools - Academia Bilingüe is proud to partner with:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council
- Kent School Services Network allowing our school to provide eligible parents and students with access to in-house health and social services to ensure that children are physically, emotionally and socially prepared to learn.
- I Believe I Become parent network, supported by LINC Community Revitalization, allowing our school to provide opportunities for motivated parents and community members to meet and support one another.
- Schools of Hope making our school a reading and mentoring site supporting over 100 students receiving help from more than 100 volunteers.
EXCEL AT SOUTHWEST SCHOOLS - ACADEMIA BILINGÜE
The two-way immersion program, also known as dual immersion, serves students whose primary language is English and students whose primary language is Spanish in the same classroom. Students at Southwest Schools - Academia Bilingüe become bilingual and bicultural. Research shows that bilingual people are positioned well for a successful future with more opportunities at the college level and in the workplace, better performance on standardized tests, and are more competitive in an increasingly global economy.
Southwest Schools - Academia Bilingüe staff are working hard to ensure that students are meeting and exceeding their goals. As a result, the number of students reading at or above grade level has increased over the past 3 years. Students are developing the important skills they need to be college and career ready!
The parents at Southwest Schools - Academia Bilingüe are committed to partnering with school staff to build a positive, collaborative learning environment. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to be involved by school staff. The result is a collaborative partnership that benefits all students.
The teachers at Southwest Schools - Academia Bilingüe are caring and dedicated. They believe in their students and have an environment of high expectations. The highly qualified bilingual staff are trained to meet the needs of all learners.
SAFE AND SECURE
Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.