PALMER ELEMENTARY (PK-5 Grade)
Return to Learn Parent Information Session
The mission of Palmer Elementary School is to enable students to achieve academic success within a positive, challenging, and inclusive community. Palmer Elementary is located in the Creston neighborhood and in the heart of the Creston Business district on Grand Rapids’ northeast side. Palmer is located in a diverse area, which is reflected in its students.
Consider Palmer Elementary for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You value a diverse learning environment for your child.
- You need a school for a student who speaks English as a second language.
- You value character-based education.
AVAILABLE AT PALMER
Palmer Elementary is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) services.
- Refugee Language Center.
- Palmer boasts a strong reading and everyday math instructional programs, and a great mentor-to-student ratio boosted by community partnerships, as well as college students from numerous area universities.
Palmer has shown a commitment to ensuring students experience an engaging curriculum and high achievement. Staff work with each student to identify their needs and help them take their learning to the next level. As a result, 96% of parents feel their child is challenged at Palmer.
The teachers at Palmer are committed to student success. They go above and beyond to ensure that student’s needs are met, that parents are involved in their child’s education and that students have a positive experience. In a recent survey, 98% of parents said the school provides their child with additional support when needed.
Parents are their child’s first teacher and Palmer recognizes how important it is for parents to be an active part of their child’s education. 100% of parents said they have regular opportunities to be involved at Palmer. Parents are welcomed as volunteers, at family nights, and in their child’s classroom.
Staff at Palmer take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In fact, 97% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.
CONNECTED TO THE COMMUNITY
As a neighborhood school, Palmer welcomes community involvement. Palmer is proud to have many long-term partnerships with local businesses, universities, churches, health agencies, and artists. These partnerships provide students with additional opportunities in music, visual arts, writing, and physical and emotional health.