Thank you for making Grand Rapids Public Schools your choice for your child's education. Whether you are new to the district or a returning family, we are here to support you as you find a school that is right for your child. Explore our website to learn more about our district and find details about each of our amazing schools.
Enrollment is open for the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years!
New to GRPS? Enroll today!
Step 1: Find Your School
The enrollment process begins by identifying the right school for your child. To begin your search, identify which neighborhood school belongs to you. Neighborhood schools have attendance area boundaries that are determined by your address, and they provide a comprehensive, community-oriented education close to home. If you are interested in learning about additional schools, you can use the Find A School search tool to explore all of our school options.
We recommend contacting your schools of interest, starting with your neighborhood school, to ask questions, request a tour, and learn more about their programs and culture. You can also attend any of our Open Houses, Community Events, or School Choice Expos to connect with principals and staff who will help you with the enrollment process.
Step 2: Complete Online Enrollment Form
Online enrollment can be completed quickly and easily through ParentVue, our online information system for caregivers. In addition to housing registration and enrollment information, ParentVue can be used to review your child’s grades, attendance records, important documents, etc. throughout the year.
- Create a ParentVue account. You will need an active email address to create an account.
- Answer the questions in each section of the enrollment form. Once a section is complete, a green check mark will appear next to the section title. If you are registering more than one child, you will be given the option to add additional scholars directly to this form.
- After all sections are complete, review and submit the form. You can review the status of your registration at any time by clicking on the “Status” tab at the top of the page.
Step 3: Submit Documentation
The final step in the enrollment process is to gather all necessary enrollment documents and submit them to the school. The following documents are required:
- Birth Certificate - A certified copy of the child’s birth certificate; this usually means the birth certificate has a raised seal
- Immunization Record - A current, complete record of the child’s immunizations
- Photo ID of Enrolling Parent - Photo identification for the enrolling parent; acceptable forms include driver’s license, state ID card, and passport
- Proof of Residency - A housing agreement (copy of mortgage, rental/lease agreement, property tax statement) OR recent utility bill (gas, water, electric, etc.) with name and address clearly printed on the document
- Copy of IEP (if eligible for services) - If the scholar receives special education programming, a copy of the Individualized Education Plan is requested at the time of enrollment; this ensures the scholar is provided proper programming
These documents can be brought to the main office of the enrolling school for processing.
Returning to GRPS? Register today!
Step 1: Complete Annual Registration
You can complete your child’s annual registration through ParentVue. Simply log into your account, update any information that changed, and submit the form! You can review the status of your registration at any time by clicking on the “Status” tab at the top of the page.
Step 2: Update Documentation
Each year, families are required to submit proof of residency (housing agreement or recent utility bill). Please provide a recent document to the school for processing. Additionally, if your child has any new or updated information that needs to be shared (vaccines, at-school medication, special services, etc.), please provide documentation to the main office.
If you are unsure of what documents the school may need, you may contact the school directly. They’ll be able to tell you if any updated paperwork is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I determine my child’s school based on our address?
You can determine your child’s neighborhood school by using the Attendance Area Finder. Locate your house on the map or type in your address to see what schools are assigned to your address.
What are "Buddy Schools"?
Some of our neighborhood schools (schools assigned by address) are also theme schools. However, not all families are interested in that school's curriculum or theme. In those cases, families have the option to send their child(ren) to another nearby neighborhood school instead. Those partnering neighborhood schools are called "Buddy Schools," and we provide transportation just as we would for other neighborhood schools. Our Buddy Schools are as follows:
- Aberdeen (for scholars who live in North Park's boundary)
- Campus (for scholars who live in Gerald R. Ford's boundary)
- Cesar E. Chavez (for scholars who live in Southwest's boundary)
- Congress (for scholars who live in GR Montessori's boundary)
- East Leonard (for scholars who live in Coit's boundary)
- Ken-O-Sha (for scholars who live in Sherwood's boundary)
- Mulick (for scholars who live in Ridgemoor Park's boundary)
- Shawmut (for scholars who live in CA Frost's boundary)
I am interested in touring my child’s school. How do I do that?
You can request a tour at any of our schools by visiting the school’s page directly. Simply click the “tour” button to register. Alternatively, you may call the school to request a tour.
What documents do I need to enroll my child in school?
The following documents are required for enrollment: birth certificate, immunization record, photo ID of enrolling parent, and proof of residency. If the scholar receives special education services, a copy of the child’s IEP is also required. Scholars new to GRPS must provide these documents upon enrollment; scholars already enrolled with GRPS need to submit updated documentation if/when information changes (such as a child’s address or health needs).
I forgot my ParentVue login information. How can I recover that?
If you know your ParentVue username but forgot your password, you can click on the “Forgot Password” button on ParentVue to recover your password and log in. If you do not know your username or password, you can contact your school’s main office or call Student Data Services at 616-819-5678 for assistance.
When are the first and last days of school? Are there other important dates I need to know?
The first day of school for the 2022-23 school year is Tuesday, August 23, 2022. For the most up-to-date information about other important dates, including school and district events and non-school days, please refer to the GRPS District Calendar.
Is school registration the same thing as the theme school application?
No. Registration is the annual process of signing up for school each academic year. It is a process required for all scholars at all schools each year. The theme school application is only used by scholars interested in applying for a GRPS application-based program. If scholars apply and are accepted to a theme school, they must complete registration as well.
My child is attending a theme school next year. How do I enroll them?
Scholars attending any GRPS school will complete enrollment through ParentVue. Returning scholars must have a completed registration each year. Follow the steps above if you are new or returning to GRPS. You can find answers to frequently asked questions about the theme school application or enrollment process that follows on our website by clicking the button below.
Community & Student Services