Reimagine GRPS with Us!
In Spanish: Watch the Reimagine GRPS with Us! Facilities Proposal Video
Reimagine GRPS with Us! is more than just a catchphrase. It’s actually happening at the Grand Rapids Public Schools. From our culture to our buildings, we are taking a look at how we can improve it. This plan focuses on our facilities and the work we will do to streamline our resources toward better educational homes for our children. The recommendations here involve enhancing our programs, renovating our space, and consolidating excess space so that resources can better focus on today’s needs. Click here to see how each school is impacted by this work.
This is a proposal and we want to hear your feedback. The Board of Education will consider the recommendations and the feedback from the community before an expected vote in mid-December.
Upcoming Opportunities to Provide Feedback
December 6: Afternoon Virtual Community Feedback Session at 12:30 p.m. (Join Zoom: live.grps.org)
December 6: Southwest side Scholar / Community Feedback Session at 6:30 p.m. at the Burton Middle School Auditorium.
December 7: Afternoon Community Feedback Session at 1:30pm at the Franklin Campus Auditorium.
December 7: Northwest side Scholar / Community Feedback Session at 6:30 p.m. at the Union High School gym.
December 11: GR Board of Education work session to focus on reviewing community feedback at 5:30 p.m. at the Franklin Campus Auditorium.
December 18: Board of Education expected to vote on facilities realignment plan at its regular 6:30 p.m. meeting at the Franklin Campus Auditorium.
This timeline is the district’s best thinking on how this process will move forward. Changes to the schedule may occur if deemed necessary by district leaders or the Board of Education.
We want to hear from you
I have a question
The implementation of these changes is proposed as a carefully planned process that will span several years. The team was intentional about prioritizing renovations that result in school closures and savings to the districts. Bond dollars are released in a series of three payments over the next several years, so projects are strategically timed to coordinate with the availability of funds. The timelines in this recommendation are estimates that would be refined once project bids are completed and work is scheduled.
2024 - 2025
- East Leonard Elementary and Stocking Elementary relocate.
- East Leonard families move to Coit Creative Arts Academy or Kent Hills Elementary.
- Stocking families transition to Sibley Elementary or Harrison Park Academy.
2025 - 2026
- Alger Middle School scholars move to the Ottawa Hills campus.
- Alger Middle undergoes renovation for a new elementary school (soon to be new home to Brookside Elementary).
- Innovation Central introduces a new middle school program, accepting scholars from Riverside Middle.
- Ken-O-Sha Park scholars relocate to nearby Sherwood Park for one year, allowing for a complete renovation at Ken-O-Sha without impacting learning.
- Riverside undergoes addition and renovation for a new Montessori campus.
- Southeast Career Pathways program moves to renovated space at the former Sigsbee School site.
2026 - 2027
- Renovated Ken-O-Sha campus opens with a new environmental science program and International Baccalaureate Global Studies program.
- Alger Middle opens as a new elementary school and accepts scholars from Brookside Elementary.
- All PK-12 Montessori programming on the north side consolidates at the renovated and expanded Riverside campus.
- Extensive renovation begins at North Park Montessori, planning to reopen in 2027 as a new neighborhood elementary school.
2027 - 2028
- Scholars from Palmer Elementary move to either newly renovated North Park Elementary or recently upgraded Kent Hills Elementary.
- PreK-5 scholars from Aberdeen Academy move to either newly renovated North Park Elementary or recently upgraded Kent Hills Elementary.
- Aberdeen Academy scholars in grades 6-8 move to the new middle school program at Innovation Central.
2028 - 2029
- Westwood Middle scholars transition to a new middle school program on the Union campus.
2029 - 2031
- Major renovations at Mulick Park Elementary and Campus Elementary.
- Ridgemoor Park Montessori to renovate and expand through eighth grade by 2031.
Reimagine GRPS News & Announcements
Reimagine Framework Referenced Reports
The Reimagine GRPS with Us! Framework highlights the objectives for creating safe, healthy and healing schools and provides background and high-level summary of the leading factors, plans and inputs that informed the development of the Reimagine GRPS with Us! vision framework including:
- GRPS Transformation Plan
- Leadership Transition
- COVID-19 Timeline & Impact
- 2022-2027 GRPS Strategic Plan
- Facilities Master Plan
- Reimagined: Community Engagement Report
- Housing Affordability & Student Retention Report
Framework Referenced Reports
Zero-Tax-Rate-Increase Bond Opportunity
GRPS Transformation Plan
2022-2027 Strategic Plan
Facilities Master Plan
- Plante Moran Facility Master Plan Presentation
- 2022 Facilities Master Plan-Plante Moran Report
- GRPS Facility Utilization Assessment Table
- Staff Vacancies Report
Reimagined: Becoming West Michigan's District of Choice