Theme School Application
We are proud to offer a variety of school options for families, including both neighborhood and theme schools. Each theme school offers a customized curriculum focused on a unique "theme," such as environmental science, dual immersion, arts and music, skills training, Montessori, International Baccalaureate, and more!
All theme schools require an application. Select schools have admissions requirements. Seats are limited. Learn more about our schools and find a school that is right for you!
The Theme School Application is OPEN for the 2023-2024 school year.
The following GRPS Theme Schools (and grade levels) are available by application:
- Blandford School (6 only)**
- CA Frost Environmental Science Academy (K-12)
- Center for Economicology (6 only)**
- City High/Middle School (7-11)** ***
- Coit Creative Arts Academy (K-5)
- Gerald R. Ford Academic Center (K-8)
- Grand Rapids Montessori (PK3-12)*
- Grand Rapids Public Museum School (6-12)
- Grand Rapids University Preparatory Academy (6-11)***
- Innovation Central High School (9-12)***
- Academy of Business, Leadership, & Entrepreneurship (9-12)
- Academy of Design & Construction (9&10)
- Academy of Health Sciences & Technology (9&10)
- Academy of Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (9&10)
- Academy of Teaching & Learning (9&10)
- North Park Montessori (PK3-8)*
- Ottawa Hills High School (9-12)***
- Academy of Hospitality & Tourism (9 only)
- Academy of Media Production (9 only)
- Academy of Public Safety (9 only)
- Early Middle College (10 only)
- Ridgemoor Park Montessori (PK3-6)*
- Sherwood Park Global Studies Academy (K-6)
- Southwest- Academie Bilingue (K-12)
- Zoo School (6 only)**
*All theme school preschool options for 3- and 4-year-olds are limited to Montessori. We do offer preschool options for 4-year-olds at all of our elementary schools (through the GSRP program), but only Montessori is placed through the theme school application. If you are interested in applying for preschool at a school other than Montessori, please contact the Early Childhood Department at 819-2111. All Children’s House programs are tuition-based programs for Pre-K3 and Pre-K4. Age requirements for these programs are as follows:
Pre-K3: 3 years old by September 1; no age waiver available
Pre-K4: 4 years old by September 1; age waiver available for GSRP, not for Montessori
Kindergarten: 5 years old by September 1; age waiver available
**Applicants for test-in schools (Blandford School, Center for Economicology, Zoo School, or City High/Middle [grades 7-9 only]) must submit nationally normed NWEA (MAP) test scores demonstrating that the applicant is at the 50th National Percentile or higher in either reading OR mathematics on their most recent test.
Submitted applications for test-in schools will be considered incomplete until test scores are received.
Students who do not meet eligibility requirements are notified of ineligibility and provided the opportunity to appeal with new scores.
Applicants who are NOT current GRPS students are required to submit test scores with their application. We provide opportunities for non-GRPS students to take the NWEA (MAP) test if it is not offered at their current school. All testing will take place at GRPS University, located at 1400 Fuller Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI. Students must apply first, then schedule testing with Student Services at 819-2150 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information regarding NWEA (MAP) visit www.nwea.org.
*** Transcripts are required to be submitted with your application for grades 10-12 (non-GRPS students only). Placement of students in grades 11 & 12 is handled on a case-by-case basis.
Important Theme School Dates
The theme school application for the 2022-2023 school year is currently closed. If you are interested in enrolling your child in a theme school for the current school year, please contact the school directly to see if space is available.
The theme school application for the 2023-2024 school year is currently open.
2023-2024 Application Windows:
Round 1 Selection
November 1, 2022 through December 2, 2022
November 29 and November 30, 2022 (4-7PM)
Round 3 Selection
February 27, 2023 - April 7, 2023
March 27 and March 28, 2023 (4-7PM)
Round 2 Selection
January 2, 2023 through February 3, 2023
February 1 and February 2, 2023 (4-7PM)
Round 4 Selection
April 24, 2023 - May 26, 2023
No MAP Testing available during 4th round