WESTWOOD MIDDLE (6-8 Grade)
Student Summer School Daily Health Screener
Click here to complete the summer school health screener before your student comes to school each day.
Each student will need their own form.
Student Daily Health Screener
Each student will need their own form.
Westwood is dedicated to improving student achievement and building positive relationships within the school community. Westwood Middle School is located in the heart of the city’s west side. It is next door to Union High School and is surrounded by green space for athletics and recreation.
Consider Westwood for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You believe students benefit from a positive and encouraging community.
- You value strong relationships with faculty and other parents.
WE HOPE YOU COULD JOIN OUR
VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE
If you missed our one (1) hour virtual open house presentation - that's okay! Click here to download our Power Point presentation and learn about what Westwood Middle School has to offer.
AVAILABLE AT WESTWOOD
Westwood Middle is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as a Second Language (ESL)services.
- Challenge Scholars: Grand Rapids Community Foundation and GRPS are coming together to provide the academic, social and financial resources students need to prepare for and go to college. Challenge Scholars may be granted a renewable scholarship to a Michigan college, university or vocational school.
- TRIO, Talent Search, KSSN.
WESTWOOD MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS CAN GET
Challenge Scholars understands the hard work that goes into reaching college and achieving success once there. In partnership with the Grand Rapids Community Foundation, students who start at Westwood Middle School in 6th grade and graduate with four years at Union High School are eligible for up to four years of tuition-free* college.
JUST FOLLOW THESE STEPS:
- Students keep their grades at or above a 2.0 GPA
- Students have no 180-day expulsions
- Students have 95% attendance
YOU DON’T HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!
Starting in Fall 2016, the Grand Rapids Community Foundation and Grand Rapids Public Schools will be introducing our first group of Challenge Scholars Champions — a resource that helps families to understand the details of Challenge Scholars, and how they can connect with school and neighborhood resources.
Excel at Westwood
SAFE AND SECURE
A recent survey showed that 91% of students feel safe at Westwood. Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.
The teachers at Westwood are caring and dedicated. They believe in their students and have an environment of high expectations. Westwood’s teachers are also highly qualified, with an average teaching experience of 11 years.
PARENTS AS PARTNERS
Westwood values parents as partners in their child’s education. Parents are regularly involved as volunteers and participate in many family events throughout the year. According to a recent parent survey, 91% of parents feel welcome at Westwood.
Westwood has shown a commitment to ensuring students experience an engaging curriculum and high achievement. Staff work with each student to identify their needs and help them take their learning to the next level. As a result, 81% of parents feel their child is challenged at school.
Students at Westwood have many choices for extracurricular activities. They can participate in 10 free sports, including soccer, basketball, baseball, softball, track, and more! They can also attend one of the many after school programs, including Yo Puedo, TRIO, student council, and LOOP.