RIVERSIDE MIDDLE (6-8 Grade)
Dear Riverside Middle Families:
Yesterday, we learned that a Riverside School staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. Below are some items you need to know regarding this situation:
- Riverside Middle School is cleaned daily and will continue to be sanitized and disinfected.
- As long as you remain symptom-free you can continue working in the building.
- No staff were identified as meeting close contact criteria, so there are no staff who need to quarantine at this time.
- Identifying and sharing specific information about those involved is prohibited by privacy/HIPAA regulations. We are following the medical guidance of the Kent County Health Department with additional guidance from our district nursing staff.
- Should you or a member of your family become ill, please contact the school office, as well as your healthcare provider. If you become ill, please contact HR so COVID-19 related benefits can be discussed.
- Staff in quarantine may not enter buildings or participate in district events and should remain home for the duration of the quarantine.
- We are continuing to engage in mitigation and sanitization protocols to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We greatly appreciate your partnership as we work together to support our students and staff during this time. Please contact me with any questions you have in the coming days.
William Martin, Principal
Riverside Middle School is committed to creating a true comprehensive middle school environment that focuses on student achievement and supports students socially and emotionally. Riverside Middle School is located in northeast Grand Rapids just east of Riverside Park. Riverside serves students in grades 6-8 in a beautiful parklike setting.
Consider Riverside for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You believe students should take ownership of their education to prepare for the best possible future.
- You value strong relationships with faculty and other parents.
Riverside Middle Beliefs Statement:
- We believe ALL students can learn.
- We believe in a strong partnership between students, parents, community, and Riverside Middle School.
- We believe in creating an environment of high expectations, caring, respect, open communication, diversity and inclusiveness, trust, and collaboration.
- We believe that ALL students should take ownership of their education and develop a positive outlook for their future.
AVAILABLE AT RIVERSIDE
Riverside is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) services.
- Active parent and community involvement with parents participating in school improvement, classroom activities and special events.
Excel at Riverside
Riverside is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 95% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
PARENTS AS PARTNERS
Riverside values parents as partners in their child’s education. Parents are regularly involved as volunteers and participate in many family events throughout the year. According to a recent parent survey, 96% of parents feel welcome at Riverside.
Staff are trained to identify individual student needs and customize their teaching to the student to help them succeed. 89% of parents feel their child is challenged at school. Riverside has also seen a 7% increase in the number of students reading at or above grade level in the last 3 years.
Riverside is committed to providing students with engaging opportunities during the school day and beyond. Students enjoy exciting guest speakers and field trips throughout the year. They also have the opportunity to participate in 10 free athletic programs or attend the LOOP after school program and join in recreation, arts and cultural activities, field trips, and more.
Staff at Riverside take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In fact, 88% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.