RIVERSIDE MIDDLE (6-8 Grade)
Dear Riverside Middle Parents, Guardians and Staff:
On 2/23/2021, we were notified that a student or staff member at Riverside Middle School has tested positive for COVID-19. We are following the procedures for a positive test and working with the Kent County Health Department to notify any staff member or students who may be considered close contacts.
The KCHD defines “close contact” as either:
- Being within three feet of a COVID-19 infected person for 15 minutes or more (with or without a mask)
- Having direct contact with infectious secretions from a COVID-19 infected person or a person with any COVID-19 symptom(s) (e.g., being coughed on).
There were no close contacts identified with this case.
The district is required to notify the Kent County Health Department of any positive tests of students or staff. The Grand Rapids Public Schools Health Services staff will conduct contact tracing and may contact you with quarantine instructions if it is determined that you are a close contact.
Under HIPAA Laws, we are required to protect the confidentiality of this individual unless there is a reason to inform you of their identity. We are informing you that we are moving forward under the guidance of the Kent County Health Department and that measures have been taken to protect the wellbeing of staff, students and families.
Please continue to monitor yourself for any new symptoms that may be related to COVID-19. If you notice changes in your health, please contact your medical provider immediately and consider getting tested.
As always, the safety of our staff and students is our first priority. All affected areas are being thoroughly cleaned using district approved disinfectant. If you have questions or concerns regarding COVID-19, please contact me or our school nurse.
William Martin, Principal
Student Daily Health Screener
Each student will need their own form.
Riverside Middle School is committed to creating a true comprehensive middle school environment that focuses on student achievement and supports students socially and emotionally. Riverside Middle School is located in northeast Grand Rapids just east of Riverside Park. Riverside serves students in grades 6-8 in a beautiful parklike setting.
Consider Riverside for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You believe students should take ownership of their education to prepare for the best possible future.
- You value strong relationships with faculty and other parents.
Riverside Middle Beliefs Statement:
- We believe ALL students can learn.
- We believe in a strong partnership between students, parents, community, and Riverside Middle School.
- We believe in creating an environment of high expectations, caring, respect, open communication, diversity and inclusiveness, trust, and collaboration.
- We believe that ALL students should take ownership of their education and develop a positive outlook for their future.
AVAILABLE AT RIVERSIDE
Riverside is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) services.
- Active parent and community involvement with parents participating in school improvement, classroom activities and special events.
Excel at Riverside
Riverside is proud to have an outstanding team of teachers and support staff. In fact, 95% of parents surveyed said they feel like the school’s staff cares about their child. Students enjoy a welcoming learning environment where staff work together to meet the needs of all children.
PARENTS AS PARTNERS
Riverside values parents as partners in their child’s education. Parents are regularly involved as volunteers and participate in many family events throughout the year. According to a recent parent survey, 96% of parents feel welcome at Riverside.
Staff are trained to identify individual student needs and customize their teaching to the student to help them succeed. 89% of parents feel their child is challenged at school. Riverside has also seen a 7% increase in the number of students reading at or above grade level in the last 3 years.
Riverside is committed to providing students with engaging opportunities during the school day and beyond. Students enjoy exciting guest speakers and field trips throughout the year. They also have the opportunity to participate in 10 free athletic programs or attend the LOOP after school program and join in recreation, arts and cultural activities, field trips, and more.
Staff at Riverside take a fair, firm, and consistent approach to discipline. In fact, 88% of parents said they see that the school’s rules are consistently enforced for all students. This approach is paired with a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS), which recognizes students for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The result is a safe and secure learning environment.