SIBLEY ELEMENTARY (PK-5 Grade)
Dear Sibley Families:
Today we learned that a Sibley Elementary staff member has tested positive for COVID-19. Below are some items you need to know regarding this situation:
- Sibley is cleaned daily and will continue to be sanitized and disinfected.
- Close contacts were identified and have been given quarantine instructions.
- Identifying and sharing specific information about those involved is prohibited by privacy/HIPAA regulations. We are following the medical guidance of the Kent County Health Department with additional guidance from our district nursing staff.
- Should you or a member of your family become ill, please contact the school office, as well as your healthcare provider. If you become ill, please contact HR so COVID-19 related benefits can be discussed.
- Staff in quarantine may not enter buildings or participate in district events and should remain home for the duration of the quarantine.
- We are continuing to engage in mitigation and sanitization protocols to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
We greatly appreciate your partnership as we work together to support our students and staff during this time. Please contact me with any questions you have in the coming days.
Rose Charles-Maher, Principal
Sibley Elementary is a diverse neighborhood school with strong roots in the community to support student learning. Built in 2007, Sibley Elementary is a beautiful LEED-certified building. It features abundant natural light and is energy efficient. Sibley is located on Grand Rapids’ west side.
Consider Sibley for your child if:
- You are seeking teachers who believe in your child’s potential to learn and achieve.
- You want your child to learn in an environment of high expectations.
- You value the stability of a neighborhood school.
- You value strong relationships with faculty and other parents.
AVAILABLE AT SIBLEY
Sibley Elementary is proud to offer:
- Parent-Teacher Community Council.
- English as a Second Language (ESL) services.
- Mentoring through United Way Schools of Hope tutoring program.
Excel at SIBLEY
PARENTS AS PARTNERS
Sibley values parents as partners in their child’s education. Parents are regularly involved as volunteers and participate in many family events throughout the year. According to a recent parent survey, 95% of parents feel welcome at Sibley.
The teachers at Sibley are committed to student success. They go above and beyond to ensure that student’s needs are met, that parents are involved in their child’s education and that students have a positive experience. In a recent survey, 95% of parents said they feel comfortable talking with their child’s teachers.
Sibley staff are working hard to ensure that students are meeting and exceeding their goals. As a result, the number of students at or above grade level in reading and math has increased over the past 3 years. Students are developing the important skills they need to be college and career ready!
SAFE AND SECURE
A recent survey showed that 91% of students feel safe at Sibley. Students participate in a program known as Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support (PBIS). Students are recognized for making good choices and showing positive behavior. The number of students being recognized for good behavior at monthly PBIS celebrations has consistently increased, while referrals to the office for behavior issues have steadily decreased.
Sibley has strong partnerships with community organizations. The Kent School Service Network provides students and parents with health and social services. Partners, such as Keystone Community Church, support enrichment activities, parent nights, student incentives, and provide tutoring and academic assistance.